- 1 Can lye be used in toilets?
- 2 How do you clean a ceramic toilet?
- 3 How much lye do you need to unclog a toilet?
- 4 What can lye damage?
- 5 Does lye eat through plastic?
- 6 What do professionals use to clean toilets?
- 7 Does Coke really clean toilets?
- 8 What happens when you put vinegar in your toilet?
- 9 How do I clean the black under my toilet rim?
- 10 How do I make my toilet bowl white?
- 11 What is the best cleaner for toilet bowl rings?
- 12 What will break down poop?
- 13 Can you pour lye down the drain?
- 14 How do you dissolve hardened lye?
Can lye be used in toilets?
Lye is used to clean and unclog drains, including those in toilets. It is used in soapmaking and for cleaning and opening drains. If your toilet becomes clogged, sprinkling a small amount of lye in the toilet will help unclog it. Before using lye, carefully read the manufacturer’s instructions for use of the product.
How do you clean a ceramic toilet?
3.Vinegar and Borax
- Grab the Borax and pour ¼ cup into your toilet bowl. Then, using a toilet brush, swish it around.
- Add 1 cup of vinegar. Allow the solution to sit in your toilet bowl for about 20 minutes.
- Use a toilet brush to scrub the bowl clean and eliminate any remaining stains.
How much lye do you need to unclog a toilet?
4. Using a plastic spoon, pour a few tablespoonfuls of lye directly into the drain hole. Then, pour in about a quarter cup of water to disperse the lye as far as it can go. Leave it to do its job for a half hour or so then flush the drain with hot water.
What can lye damage?
Lye can deform PVC piping. Most household plumbing consists of a mix of metal piping (steel, copper) and plastic PVC tubing. This caustic can deteriorate metal piping and, in some forms, as when mixed with an aluminum compound to increase its cleaning power, can easily generate enough heat to warp or deform PVC piping.
Does lye eat through plastic?
Although polystyrene is chemically resistant to room temperature lye, it is not resistant to hot lye. Polystyrene is brittle and will shatter easily when dropped or bent. Do not use plastics in the “Other” category, recycling code #7.
What do professionals use to clean toilets?
Get a product with acid, such as Borax, to break down stains and deposits. Try pouring ¼ cup of Borax into the toilet bowl followed by 1 cup of vinegar. Swish it around with your toilet brush and allow it to sit for 20-30 minutes. Finish with a final scrub.
Does Coke really clean toilets?
The fizzy soda can give your toilet a spotless clean in a pinch. Pour Coca-Cola along the edges of the toilet bowl — the carbonation will take care of the heavy lifting for you! Leave the soda in the toilet overnight. The next morning, flush the fizz away and your toilet will look good as new.
What happens when you put vinegar in your toilet?
Vinegar can be used inside the toilet tank too According to This Old House, “The inside part of the tank can harbor rust, mold, mildew, and bacteria that can cause unpleasant odors and impair your toilet’s functionality and longevity.” Here’s how to tackle the tank with the power of white vinegar.
How do I clean the black under my toilet rim?
If you see black deposits, turn off the water supply, flush the toilet to empty the tank and pour in a cup of vinegar. Swish it around to clean the discoloration, then partially flush to allow some of the mixture to pass through the water holes in the bowl and disinfect them.
How do I make my toilet bowl white?
Combine 2 parts borax with 1 part lemon juice to form a paste. Smear the paste onto any remaining stains in the bowl, such as the ring formed around the waterline. Borax cleans while lemon juice whitens. Leave the paste to soak for two hours to lighten stains and whiten the bowl.
What is the best cleaner for toilet bowl rings?
Sprinkle a cup of baking soda into the toilet bowl followed by 2 more cups of vinegar. Get ready, as this is going to create a fizzing action. Leave it be for about 10 minutes. Using the toilet brush, swish some more because you want to make sure this solution reaches stains above the water line and under the rim.
What will break down poop?
You’ll need a pot of hot water, a cup of baking soda and a cup of vinegar. Pour the baking soda into your toilet bowl. Then add the vinegar a little bit at a time to avoid overflow. The mixture should start fizzing and bubbling immediately.
Can you pour lye down the drain?
Lye: Lye is typically used as a disinfectant and in soap-making, but you can also use it to unclog a drain. Carefully pour several teaspoonfuls of lye directly into the drain. Pour a small amount of water down after it.
How do you dissolve hardened lye?
Caustic soda is alkaline and vinegar is acidic, so it makes sense at first glance to pour vinegar into the drain and let it react with the hardened material to produce a salt that is far less harmful and will dissolve in water.