- 1 Do I need a wet saw to cut subway tile?
- 2 How do you finish the edge of subway tile?
- 3 How do you cut tile without chipping it?
- 4 What is the smallest grout line for tile?
- 5 Why wont my tile cutters cut straight?
- 6 Do I cut tile face up or down?
- 7 How do you cut ceramic tile by hand?
- 8 Can you score and snap subway tile?
- 9 What is the spacing for subway tile?
Do I need a wet saw to cut subway tile?
Subway Tile Kitchen Do: Rent or Borrow a Wet Saw But if you have tile that is larger than 1 in. in diameter, you will likely need to make U-shape notch and corner cuts for outlets and cabinet edges.
How do you finish the edge of subway tile?
4 Easy Ways to Finish Tile Edges
- Caulk the Edge. This is the easiest and most cost-effective solution.
- Rail Moldings. Coordinating tile moldings in natural stone and porcelain are usually readily available.
- Metal Edges. Metal edges are available in a wide array of styles and finishes.
- Create a Bullnose Edge.
How do you cut tile without chipping it?
Manual tile cutter may take much time to cut a small portion, but the result would be satisfactory. Using manual hand tools is the best way to cut porcelain tile without chipping when you can’t afford fancy tools. You may apply multiple hand tools to cut the tile. But the best way is to use a tile nipper.
What is the smallest grout line for tile?
Grout lines need to be at least 1/16” for the grout to even fit, and often larger than that depending on a variety of other factors. For some grouts, like sanded cement grout, 1/8” is the minimum line size.
Why wont my tile cutters cut straight?
Try double scoring the end that is not braking correctly. you could just be missing some pressure on the scoring action. Try slowly breaking the tile with smaller push down actions with the breaker on the tile and slowly move up the tile doing the same instead of one swift snapping action.
Do I cut tile face up or down?
Regardless of the kind of tile you’re cutting, the best method is to cut with the front of the tile facing up. The front is the side that will be exposed once you lay the tile. This method ensures the smoothest finished edge on the tile with the least amount of chipping.
How do you cut ceramic tile by hand?
To cut ceramic tile by hand without a tile cutter:
- Mark the top of the tile where you want to cut it.
- Place a square on the tile slightly away from the mark.
- Use a glass cutter to score the tile on the cut line.
- Place the tile on solid surface with a wire clothes hanger under the tile aligned with the score mark.
Can you score and snap subway tile?
The tiles break along the scored line. Tile cutters by nature, take longer to set up and use than wet saws. You need to find your tile, place it inside the cutter, score the tile, and finally snap the tile along the score. As you can see, breaking tiles along the score isn’t always easy.
What is the spacing for subway tile?
Most subway tile has grooves on the sides so you don’t need to use spacers at all because it’s an automatic 1/16″ grout line.